When they moved to Nova Scotia, they increased the population substantially, and if it were not for their suffering and persecution, many of the surrounding villages of Yarmouth County would not exist today. East Chebogue was renamed Melbourne on April 12th, 1872. The name Chebogue comes from the Mi'kmac word, Utkubok, which means Spring Water. Indian tribes in the Arcadia region were mostly Mi'kmacs from the Algonquin race who used the river for fishing and trapping. They later made encampments at the head of the river, used for trading. This area is now known as Arcadia Corner and is where the first store in the Area of Arcadia was operated in 1803 by David Van Norden. The area remains to this day the business sector of Arcadia. Due to the lack of roads, the businesses were all built along the river bank since the river provided the only means of transportation at that time.
Patrick Gowen of Kittery, Maine, settled in this area in the spring of 1762, followed later in the year by Seth Barnes, Cornelius Rogers and George Bridgeo. They built log homes among the trees near the shore line. Patrick Gowen was a land surveyor, the first in the County of Yarmouth He died in March, 1776, and was buried on his own property, for many years known as Gowen's Point.
Over two hundred years ago, on April 7th, 1767, those in this community
receiving grants of land included Patrick Gowen, George Bridgeo, Cornelius
Rogers, William Curtis, John Symonds and Lemuel Churchill. September 18th,
1867 the first Canadian election was held. Ansel Robbins, Sr., was clerk
for the number 3 polling district, which was Arcadia. Open voting took
place in the old meeting house near Vickery's Corner. This building was
later moved to Arcadia corner, now a part of the once S.G. Trefry block,
which no longer exists. Ballot Voting in Nova Scotia and the rest of Canada
was instituted in 1871.
Chebogue-ArcadiaWhen loyalists came to these shores Chebogue River was the street, Staunch, hardy folk to face a task. That need brawn to meet.
They settled first along the banks. Where marshland edged the way, Were shltered from the icy blasts. They had coped with on the Bay.
First homes were crude - log huts and such In sheltered isles and coves Where axe and adz were plied with skill Within the wooded groves
They fished the river, trapped the woodes, Felled trees along the way, Built boats and eked their living Toiling hard from day to day
The few that came to these shores first Were settled far apart
This glossary is of pioneers Who came with hearts aglow
As confederation time drew near This village had its name
Smithy shops were many Wood paths made into roads,
Spar yards, sail lofts, and cobbler shops Were built again, again,
At this time things were booming Large families thrived and grew
Another century has passed Which brings us to this day,
Time marches on--the years go by, Great changes come and go,
The unchanged River still flows on As it has always done,
New highways, fast cars, modern homes Railroad, Airport and so
As on we press to heights unknown In ease and comforts go,
E.M. Rankin, Arcadia, N.S. 1967
facts about the Arcadia area worth mentioning are:
a) The Bartlett house, located in Arcadia is one of the few remaining homes which has the old Acadian style of housing incorporated into it.
b) The only school in Arcadia, Arcadia Consolidated School opened in September 1958. This school is still in operation. The Utkubok Trail was completed in 1993-94, located by Arcadia School. (for further information, follow the link)
c) The new post office, located in the business sector of Arcadia, was completed in 1967, it is also still in operation.
d) The population in 1956 was 489.
e) Location of one of the few trailor parks in Yarmouth, Loomer's Campground.
GrassRoutes Computer Services Ltd.
South Ohio, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
All Rights Reserved