INDEX:  Villages  | Home  | Business | Community  | Maps  | History  | News&Events  | Scenic  | Aerial

The Oldest House in Chebogue 

by Beth Cook

Old house In 1769, the old Clements house in Massachusetts was taken down very carefully, was loaded on barges or rafts, and was towed here and re-erected. This house is claimed to be the oldest house in Chebogue and possibly the oldest in Yarmouth county. 
They don't know how old it really is though. In 1816, one of the greatest men in Yarmouth's history was born. Nehemiah K., son of Elkamah and Mercy Clements, and great-grandson of John. A Master Mariner at a very early age, after a few more years he left the sea and entered into business, ultimately acquiring a substantial fortune. He owned several fine ships, founded and operated the famous Clements Line of Steamships, promoted the Western Counties Railway, many mercantile establishments, and gave outright many thousands of dollars to schools and other public interests and improvements. At the time of his death, in 1880, he was busily promoting a woolen mill. Considered an able businessman, promoter of progress and development, philanthropist, and public-spirited citizen, Capt. N.K. Clements certainly must rank in the fore-front among the "Builders of Yarmouth." 

After many years, the Clements family moved away and the property was occupied by David Pinckney. Capt. Pinckney and his wife raised a large family, all grew up and moved away from the house, till finally there was no one left at the house. 

Then Earl Bigelow and his family occupied the house. Some years later, in the late '70s or early '80s, they sold the house to Lawrence Perry. Perry and his two sisters lived here until they passed away. The property is now owned by Lawrence's son, Walter, well-known Chebogue resident.

The house was well maintained through all the years. It is on a beautiful site overlooking the storied Chebogue river and,  with its wealth of history, it is hoped that the house will be preserved for many years to come.


by Beth Cook

Old house
 One morning back in December of 1735, the brigantine Baltimore  was discovered in the Chebogue Harbour.  The only person found on the blood-spattered ship was a woman, who claimed to be Susanah Buckler, the captain's wife. She told the people of Chebogue that some Indians came abroad the ship and killed the captain and crew, and took everything they could carry. She said she had locked herself into the captain's  cabin where the Indians couldn't get to her. 
She stayed in Chebogue for the winter, and in the spring she and the Balitmore were  transported to Annapolis Royal. 
The superstitious seamen decided  the Baltimore should not be sailed again. They brought her to the mouth of the Harbour where she stayed for seven years. Then she was towed to sea where she was burned. 

The woman disappeared from Annapolis Royal when people started to learn the truth about what really happened aboard the Baltimore. The brigantine had left Dublin, Ireland heading for Maryland, with sixty convicts aboard. The convicts escaped and killed the captain and crew;  they then fought among themselves until only ten were left alive:  nine men and one woman.   It then seems the men went ashore where they were ambushed and killed by Indians who boarded the vessel, stripping it of everything of value.   The woman had barricaded herself in the captain's cabin and, finding pistols there, managed to drive the Indians away.   The true identify of this woman and her whereabouts after the journey to Annapolis Royal have yet to be discovered. 


A Leading Lady

by Beth Cook

Marble Lady About seventy-five years after the Balimore incident, in far-away Scotland, there was a man named Frederick Augustus Webster. He met a beautiful lady named Margaret McNaught. He was in his last year at the  University of Glasgow studying medicine and surgery, and  she was the daughter of a well-to-do Glaswegian family. It was love at first sight. They were married just before he was to return to Canada. He came to be a successful surgeon, but Margaret soon caught an illness and passed away.

The doctor was very sad about the death of his wife. He brought her body  to the Town Point Cemetery in Chebogue to be buried. He wanted a suitable memorial for his beloved wife, so he sketched out his idea of one and consulted with a memorial-maker and sculptor, S. F. Raymond to carve this memorial.  Made of pure white Indian marble, the gravestone depicts  a life-sized young woman fast asleep on some sheaves of wheat, her left hand supporting her head, her right hand holding a sickle  On her lap are several sheaves of wheat. It is considered to be one of the finest pieces of hand-carved art in Canada.


Villages Homepage Local Business Directory
Community Maps History
Events Pictures Aerial


Our sponsors make it possible for us to present Villages of Yarmouth County  If you live in the area or just visiting they will provide you with top quality products and service

 GrassRoutes Computer Services Ltd.
South Ohio, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
Ph# 1-902-742-3845
 All Rights Reserved