Davis Soloan, son-in-law of W. H. Moody, built this cottage in 1906. Ho was the well-known Principal of the Normal School in Truro. Dr. & Mrs. Soloan lived theta until the death of Mrs. Moody when they acquired the Moody house next door by will.
The Owl's Nest was sold to Waring Rozee who spends some time there each season.
Dr. Soloan had a very fine garden on the lot south of the Moody home where he raised dwarf fruit trees. He liked to experiment with interesting vegetables and nut trees.
He reminded one of an english squire with his plus fours, tweed jacket, long green socks and brogues. He was tall with black hair and a Van Dyke beard and a friend to all.
When ho was wanted for meals his wife Betty would blow a whistle, or
stand at the door and call “Da-a-vid” in a stentorian voice. The Doctor
would always answer “Coming”.
This house was built in 1899 by William H. Moody, Collector of Customs, He retired shortly after the house was built and with Mrs. Moody and daughter Kitty lived there for some years. Kitty was terribly crippled with arthritis.
In 1929 Jack Goudey and family occupied it while the Vickery house was being rebuilt, renting the house from Kitty who was then being cared for in a home in Digby.
The house was purchased from Dr. Soloan by Forrest A. Iadd in 1947 on his retirement from the R.C.M.P. The Ladds planted shrubs and trees and Maye's flower garden was outstanding. They continued the garden started by Dr. Soloan and raised all typos of vegetables. The property was greatly improved before they decided to leave lake Annis and move to Wellington in 1955.
In 1958, Dr. Ollie Stanton, who is married to Ruth Lewis, a daughter of the late Harry Lewis and former owner of cottage No.28,. bought the house from the Ladds.
The house is now known as "Anchorage".
This has usually been called the McGray house as it was for some years occupied by A. E. McGray, the then manager of the Kinney and Haley Woodworking Co. in Yarmouth.
It was originally built by Josiah Ellis probably in 1887 or 1888 and was a lath and plaster house. There is quite a good-sized orchard on the property. During the McGray regime a grass tennis court was built on the front lawn with high wire netting on the north side.
A Miss. Kelley used it as a summer boarding house for one year. She also operated the Grantham house as a summer hotel for one season, probably the year following the McGray house.
Ern Crosby and his family lived there for some time, when he was managing Dave Saunder’s store.
The next owner was Alvin Ellis followed by Edgar Ergott, Jacob Grant, Dr. Charles Upham and Harry Swan. Dr. Upham, during the two years which he owned it, 1931 and 1932, planted all the flowering shrubs; also the evergreens that have taken over the road up to the house and practically engulfed the place.
It is now the property of Harry Swan’s daughter Babs Miller.
This cottage of one room was built about 1902 by Josiah Huestis for his daughter Hannah and herfriend Mollie Johnson, a sister to Mrs. John H. Kiflam.
After a few summers it was purchased by Charlie Reid and enlarged, and in 1909 became the property of Hiram Goudey who owned it for eleven years.
Charlie Reid built on a piece and extended the veranda.
It was left by will to Myra Henry, daughter of Hiram Goudey In 1920 and is still occupied by her each smason.
One of the most popular “dropping in” placea in the village. The deacon’s bench beside the road is usually occupied by those who need a rest after walking up the hill and many stop there to enjoy the afternoon sun.
“Sunnyside” was the name given to the Vickery cottage when it was built
The land was purchased from Josiah Ellis and extends from the road to the railroad track. A barn standing in the centre of the small orchard fronting the road, was moved over to the property of Elmer Cossar the new location being shown in dotted lines on the sketch just south of No.30.
The names of the carpenters engaged to build the house were Moses and Goudey, the latter Nathan, an uncle of John S. Goudey, having a farm of his own at Norwood near the station.
The house originally faced the lake and had a veranda on all four sides.
In 1929 it was turned to face the south and extended by having a new kitchen and pantry built on the north as well a s a closed-in sunroom facing the lake and a full sized cellar. At the same time a one-car garage and workshop was built adjacent to the road.
Since 1953 this house has been the property of Elizabeth Goudey Manuge, granddaughter of the Vickerys, but has been occupied by her parents Jack and Francis Goudey. Although the beautiful garden kept by Mrs. Vickery is no more, there still remains the sundial, the interesting stone walks and many flowering shrubs and trees have since been planted.
In the 1930’s church services were often held on the veranda and in
the yard and in the Master Edition are several newspaper clippings describing
the services is well as clippings describing Sunday evening Musicals held
at Sunnyside and the Killam cottage next door.
This cottage was built by Captain Henry Lewis for his son Harry and family in 1904 and has been constantly in use.
At the present time it is owned and used by Betty Lewis, who is Mrs. Galen Vickery.
Two other daughters, who spent many summers there in their younger days, now have their own cottages. Esther, Mrs. Clem Crowell, down by the lake, and Ruth, Mrs. Ollie Stanton, owns the Moody house.
This cottage was the scene of many house parties when Grandma Lewis brought the Lewis girls and the Lewis boys, Henry and Charlie and their friends for a week or two at a time. Later on the girls would bring a party of friends usually the same group, Folly Cairn, Star Rogers, Carrie Perry and Margaret Doty for two weeks each summer with Edith Chipman as chaperone. A gay time was enjoyed by all and the Camp Counsellors from Mooswa had plenty of dancing partners.
Generally called the Elmer Cossar house as he and his family lived there so many years as permanent residents.
Elmer bought land including the little house from Josiah Ellis on Awil 20th, 1897, approximately one hundred acres extending from the Harry Lewis property to the Frank Day line, and down to the river.
It is thought that the house was built about 1887 by Josiah Ellis and was originally a camp. On April 17th, 1900, Elmer married Albertina Morton from Rockvifle and brought her there to live.
Elmer and his wife provided a source for eggs, milk and vegetables and Mrs. Cossar at times would bake bread for members of the summer colony. Elmer had a sugar-maple stand and every spring would make maple syrup. Forrest and Maye Ladd used this plant one or two seasons when the house was vacant.
The barn that was on the Vickery property was moved over to Elmer’s and used to keep the cattle in when his farm was flourishing.
Bessie and Alden lived with Elmer for a time until they built their own house No.30 on the sketch. Alden built a small store shown between 29 and 30 which the residents found very handy as long as he was in business. Ho and Bessie also operated a loom and did some very fine work.
Following the death of Elmer in 1945, Viola who was then Mrs. Benson, took her mother to Belmont, Massachusetts, where she cared for her until her death. The house then became Viola’ a by inheritance and she has made a number of improvements, such as installing a furnace and modernizing the kitchen. She spends her summer vacations there and hopes to live in the house when she retires.
Many of us remember the gay little flower garden in front of the house, which was “Tina’s” joy and delight. Mrs. Cossar spent many hours of real pleasure in her garden.
The family of E. J. Vickery (Jim) stayed there for two summers and following that it was occupied by Gerry Thibeau and by Bert Porter and their families, both permanent residents.
Alden and Bessie Cossar built their house in 1939, moving over from their father’s home where they bad been living fo1lowing their marriage. It was in 1950 he tore down the barn already mentioned and built his garage from the material.
“Orchard House” as it was called when first erected by John H. Killam in 1897, no doubt got it’s name from the fact that it is surrounded by apple trees.
Following the wreck of the Castilian, Sunday, March 12th, 1899, on Gannet Rock Ledge, Mr. Killam purchased the piano which bad been in the ship’s saloon and brought it to take Annis. He also obtained a number of bright red settee cushions from the steamer and had settees built to fit them in both corners of the large living room. At this time the name of the cottage was changed to “Castilian Hall”.
In early days this house. was the scene of many large parties and family gatherings. Trunk loads of food would arrive on the train and be transported to the house by horse and wagon.
As members of the Killam family were musical, it was customary to have some sort of a concert on these festive occasions. In the log books of the house there are many programs of such performances, piano and vocal numbers as well as skits in fancy costumes. The local people were usually invited to attend such functions.
In 1943 on her return from England, it became the home of Nellie Killam,
Mrs. Melville Rice. She eventually purchased a home in Hebron and the house
was sold to Ellen McLeod, Mrs. James Moore. The Moores spend their vacation
there when Doctor Moore is able to be here.
Mabel Killam, Mrs. Frank Day, and her husband built the original cottage in 1927. It was added to and changes made in the following year. For one or two years they stayed all winter.
Mrs. flay, being a very clever artist, had a studio built quite near the road where she spent hours. Many of the take Annis people have one or more of her paintings.
The cottage is now used by her son Donald and his wife and is equipped with a furnace.
Having mentioned Mrs. Day’s ability, one should say something about her outstanding husband. Frank was a Rhodes scholar and champion heavyweight boxer in his college days.
He was a University Professor of English and. President of Swarthmore College in Pennysylvania. He became a Lieutenant Colonel in the Highland Brigade during World War I and was sent to Minto, New Brunswick, to build a prison camp and act as Officer Commanding. Having found so many men in the army who could not read, or write, it was decided to have them attend school and Frank was asked to compile a series of text books. Ho was also a writer and his book "Iron bound" is most interesting.
Usually spoken of as the Rozee House as it was built by James Rozee in 1903. This is the only plaster-stucco house in the village and the date still remains on the front of the house done in clam shells.
Mr. Rozee, who operated a bakery in Yarmouth, was very fond of children and would hand out some of his own confectionary whenever any of the young folk called on him. He was short and rather stout, with long curly hair, rather like Santa Claus. He used to arrive on the morning train loaded down with two generous baskets of food and would walk up the hill end along to his cottage - one of the well-known figures of the summer community. Mrs. Rozee was a thin little woman, always pleasant and who liked to have the other children of the village come to play with her adopted granddaughter Mildred. The little pekinese dog which the family had will be well remembered.
Mr. Rozee was quite a gardener and besides raising apples and cherries tried tobacco, peanuts and melons with some success.
Following the death of the Rozees the house became the property of the daughter Ella Fatten.
The property was purchased by Douglas Wyman in 1951 who turned the garage into a workshop.
Genevieve Carey Betts occupied the cottage for a season and since 1955
it has been leased to Lou and Nell Morton.
This rather modern structure was built by Douglas Wyman in 1951 on part of the Rozee property which he acquired when he purchased that house. He boasts the only artesian well in the village - it is what you might call “deep”.
Willard Hewey did the carpenter work and also made the inside fittings. He was assisted by Jerry Thibeau in building the fireplace and the very fine outside grill.
In 1958 Douglas added a guest house with all modem conveniences.
This is one of the older how es and was built by Josiah Ellis after he sold his last house to Elmer Cossar in 1897. There is also a barn on the property which now belongs to George Kiiiam.
One year about 1915 the cottage was leased to John Lonergan, whose son Tiliey along with Ralph Shurman and Bob Farnham spent the summer there. The same summer John Patterson, Clark Higby, Vic Seary and Jack Allen camped on the point beyond Dr. MacLeod’s cottage. This spot has been named Camp Cuss ever since that time.
George’s son Robert and family sometimes spend a week or two in the house,
Seymour Croweil, a third generation of Samuel A. Crowell who bad the first summer cottage in lake Minis, built his cottage in 1953 and gave it the name shown above.
It is erected on property formerly owned by Frank Day who in turn purchased it from Elmer Caesar.
Every year sees something new added - new well and potio in 1963. Previous to that Seymour had a waterhole dug at the bottom of the field for fire purposes.
There is a very fine view of the meadow from this site.
NOS. 37 and 38
In 1899 Fred McAulay came from the United States with his wife on account of ill health, nnd built a small cottage on the site shown in dots as No.37.-
After he died the widow sold the property to Mrs. Douglas Mcteod who stayed in the little house during the summer of 1720. In 1921 the house was moved and rebuilt into the present McLeod hone shown as No.38. The dining room is the original Mc.Anlay house. More has been added and surrounded by closed-in porches.
Miss. Clara Caie stayed in the original cottage for one or two summers.
The property is always beautifully kept and in the spring the rhododendrons
are a sight to behold. Mrs. McLeod introduced a barberry hedge to this
part of the country and in the fall the birds enjoy the berries and persist
in planting them all over the village.
This might be called a camp rather than a cottage. It was built by Ralph Sawyer and Ralph Winters in 1937. They used it to some extent and in 1954 it was acquired by Everett Killam.
There is a good woodroad into it from the main road which can be used by cars.
In 1963 Everett sold it to Bill Mooney the druggist in Yarnouth
LAKE ANNIS SCHOOL
The village school is always of interest and the County Clerk wns asked to look up some of the early records with the following result.
A request was made by George Cossar that the sum of $1.00 a week be granted to him to sustain a school at his house, on the same tend as established at the meeting of May 8, 1877. It was voted that his request be granted for the present winter term.
MAY 21, 1884
A petition from George A. Cossar and others, asking for the survey and bounding of a shcool section that should include their residences and homesteads and to be named “Alton Section” was considered and on motion granted wherein the following boundaries:-
Beginning at Eben Eldridge’s West Line, thence by the road around lake Annls to lake Jessie, including road to Norwood Station; also all the people to the South and East of Norwood Section including E. Eldridge who has heretofore been in Norwood Section. This boundary is conditional, or on the account of the ratepayers of Norwood Section to the change of their North boundary line, also the assent of the Board of School Commissioners of Clare to making it a border Section. It was further authorized that the Section be placed on the list of Poor Sections and that a rebate of County money for the past two years be allowed to assist in the building of a school house.
MAY 27, 1885. Alton appears on the list of Schools. No.38
MAY 27, 1893. Lake Minis No.38 appears on the list of Schools.
MAY 23, 1899. Minutes of meeting show lake Snnis taken off list of Poor Sections”.
Although the school section covers a large area there were seldom more than 20 children attending at any one time although in 1913 there were 42 on the register. Everett Killam reports that one year only six attended.
George Cossar did start the first school for his own family and it was conducted in the little building later used for the Post Office. The teacher boarded with the family and taught the children of school age, and Mrs. Jones (Laura) up to the time she was 13 attended school there with her brothers and sisters. Today one can see the blackboard they used on the back of the door.
The lake Annis School was built in 1885 and was the first school in
the municipality to be closed because no boarding house could be found
for the teacher. Since 1954 the children from the section have gone to
the consolidated school in Port Maitland or Yarmouth and are picked up
and brought hone by bus.
Lake Annis Home Page