||The Holy Trinity Church,
The church was designed by the Rev. Roy Campbell. Building
was started in 1866 and on August, 4, 1872, the church was consecrated..
Replacing the former wooden structure, Holy Trinity Church is built
in the Gothic Revival style. It is designed in a cruciform shape and is
heavily buttressed. The church is 102 ft long, constructed of brick, with
wooden trim. The doors and the huge stained-glass windows are arched. The
chimes were added in 1908, but the weight and stress were too much
for the steeple, and in 1913 the spire was removed. Sailors
used to say that the church's "long finger" was pointing to heaven.
||The McLaughlin Brothers store,
The Second Empire-style building was built in 1875. The store was mainly
built of brick and, with its arched windows, this was one of
the most handsome commercial buildings in Yarmouth. It was two-and-one-half
stories tall, with beautiful wood and brick carving around the second-story
windows. The mansard roof had a wrought iron railing around the edge. The
store caught fire and burned down on February 1, 1963. The ground
floor section is all that remains of the original building.
||Main Street, Old Grand Hotel.
The Tabernacle Church was struck by lightning and was completely burned
down. The Old Grand Hotel was built on the same spot in 1892-93, and opened
in 1894. At that time it was one of the largest hotels in Eastern
Canada. The hotel cost $75,000 to build. Constructed of brick and freestone,
this 100-room hotel had a two-story balcony on the four-story front.
On the roof there was a glass tower that overlooked the harbour of Yarmouth.
The hotel had all the modern conveniences of that time, such as an electric
elevator, private baths with cold/hot water, and telephones in each room.
The Grand had ten meeting/dining rooms which were named after the geography
and history of the region. The Grand also had a swimming pool, a billiard
room, writing and drawing rooms and a library. On September 25, 1966 the
old Grand Hotel was demolished, and the new and modern Rodd-Grand
Hotel replaced it.