||The Old Post Office, Main
The cornerstone was laid in 1885 for this three-story building,
made of brick and granite. The clock was added at a later date, and came
from a discarded government building in Quebec. It was one of the
most handsome government buildings in the province. The Post Office had
the only revolving door in Yarmouth. The building was torn down in
1959, and its replacement was built at the end of John Street.
||The Boston Marine Insurance,
This three-story building was one of the finest brick buildings in Yarmouth
in its time. Built in 1882 for the Boston Marine Insurance, it was later
sold to the YMCA. The building cost $30,000 to build. The front facade
was divided into three symmetrical units. Elaborate brickwork adorned the
widows, the chimney and the facade. The top widows were arched. There were
two bay widows on the south and east sides, along with a tower on the corner.
In the 1980`s the grand old building was demolished to make way for the
modern new YMCA building.
||The Old Court House, Main
Built in 1862-63, the Court House was opened on September 22, 1863.
In 1889 it was raised and a stone foundation and steps were added.
Two-and-a-half stories high, it had a tri-symmetrical bay front, with stairs
that lead up to four columns. It resembled a Greek temple from the front.
The Court House caught fire, but was saved. After the fire, an extension
was built in place of the granite steps. But again on March 19,1931
the Court House was completely destroyed by fire.